About The Inn
The following content pertains to The Pomeroy Inn, Northampton, MA 01060. The information in the first two sections below was excerpted from the application for National Registry by the Massachusetts Historical Commission. The neighborhood was granted approval for inclusion in the National Registry in the summer of 2018. The information on the occupants of the home was derived from Deb’s research with the senior archivist, Elise Bernier Feely, at the Forbes Library, Hampshire Room for Local History.
This residence with mansard roof was built by L.G. Field in the late 1860’s. He purchased the lot in 1867 from Caroline Lawrence, widow of William Lawrence, whose 1859 Italianate house still stands to the north. The Daily Hampshire Gazette reported: “L.G. Field has purchased a building lot, Phillips Place, from Mrs. William Lawrence, and will build a $10,000 house on it.” The substantial dwelling and land were sold in 1870 for $8,500.
Phillips Place and its extension, Pomeroy Terrace, were developed as a residential area in the later nineteenth century.
The Field House is a good example of the French Second Empire, the only example in this neighborhood of mainly Italianate style houses on Phillips Place and Pomeroy Terrace. It is a two-and-a-half story house three bays wide and the equivalent of three bays deep; there are two ells on the west, one of one-and-a-half stories and the second of one-story.
The French Second Empire style shared many architectural features with the Italianate style and here the slate-covered mansard roof has been constructed with wide Italianate style eaves that are supported on paired brackets. There is a cross-gable wing on the north and a wraparound porch that crosses the east and south elevations and turns on to the west elevation. The porch is supported on posts with high impost blocks and its railing has an arched cutout pattern seen elsewhere on the street. The porch roof has paired brackets at its eaves as well. Wide corner pilasters frame the building. There are pedimented dormers on the roof on the east, north and south elevations. They have brackets at their eaves as well. Windows elsewhere in the house have architrave surrounds and on the first story the architrave surrounds are topped by molded cornice lintels.
As the narrative above explains, L.G. Field purchased the lot in 1867 and commenced building the present home in 1868. Mr. Field was a businessman in the town and had sold the home to E.G. Southwick by 1873, according to the 1873 F.W. Beers & Company Map of Hampshire County. The 1884 Map indicates the owner as E.O. Damon and the City Directory informs that Mr. Damon resided at the home starting in 1882 until 1906 when he moved to Westfield. At that time, Mr. Damon apparently sold the home to the first Mayor of Northampton, Benjamin Cook, who lived in this house from 1906 until his death in December of 1930 at the age of 89.
The home served as a three-family residence for some years with a kitchen and bath on each floor. The former owners, prior to Deb, renovated it back to a single family home with a 3rd floor two-bedroom apartment that is usually rented to graduate students attending area universities.
Deb purchased the home in February of 2018 and turned it into its current iteration as a Bed & Breakfast, obtaining a Special Permit to operate as a B & B from the City of Northampton in May 2018.